The Flute Case

Sunday, March 05, 2006

A flute journey

About a month ago I spent $1000 on a new flute. The very first flute I owned was a $100 armstrong beginner flute. You know the solid nickle kind. The second flute I owned was a $700 silver plated gimindhardt. On this flute we really got ripped off. We(my parents and I ) did not know what we where doing when we bought it. This flute is really not worth more then $300 at the most. But it was ok until I grew out of it.
From there I got my first really wonderful flute. A yamaha allegro. Now if you are in the market for a flute I would highly recomend it. At the time I bought it, it was $1100, now a days it is more like $1500. Picture of an Allegro Flute
As you can see(or cant see) the allegro has a gold mouth piece. The head joint is also solid silver. The body of the flute is silver plated. It has an off set g and a low b gizmo (yes it is called a gizmo, I will write more on that later). But this is a great flute if you are looking for a pre proffesional. It got me through college auditions, many many gigs such as weddings and orchestras. But after a while you do grow out if it if you are looking to advance. It is also a great flute for someone who is not looking to be a pro but wants a good flute just the same on a limited budget.
Enough raveing about the allegro. But the flute I just purchased is a haynes. This haynes was made in 1960, the serial number starts with a 3. The entire thing is solid silver and it plays beautifly. The one thing that I dont like is that is french style. Which means that the mouth hole is cut smaller then more modern flutes. And it is harder to get a big sound. But on the other side of the equation small sound is easy to get out of it. When I play it is harder for me to get a soft sound, so it actually works well. This flute also does not have a low b key, but I am planning on purchesing an alternative foot joint as well as a new head joint. Anyway, that is a my flute journey.
**guess what the spell check still doesnt work, if you know how to use it please enlighten me. I am not the greatest speller so it comes in really handy***

1 Comments:

Blogger Kelsey said...

I am so glad to finally find another flutist that has a blog! I have been hunting everywhere, but it seems that there are more blogs of every other instrument known to mankind except flute.

-Kelsey

11:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home